Music is integral to the funeral rites. It allows the community to express convictions and feelings that words only may fail to convey. Music has the power to console and uplift the mourners and to strengthen the unity of the assembly in Faith and Love. The texts of the songs chosen for a particular celebration should express the paschal mystery of the Lord’s suffering, death, and triumph over death and should be related to the readings from Scripture.— Order of Christian Funerals, 30.
Listed here are music suggestions and recommendations for proper placement in the Liturgy. It is not necessary to choose four hymns. If you have a preference for only two songs, for example, the musician will fill in appropriate music as needed. To hear a sample of the music before you choose, click on the song title. Please note that recordings may not reflect the tempo or performance style of the Cathedral. These music samples serve only to give you the essence of the songs, the text, and the tune. Requests for songs not listed here are subject to approval by the music director and on music availability, therefore, these special requests should be made known as soon as possible.
Psalm texts are shown below.
- Abide With Me
- Alleluia! The Strife is O’er (Victory)
- Amazing Grace (New Britain)
- As the Deer Longs (O Waly Waly)
- Ave Maria (chant)
- Ave Maria (Bach-Gounod)
- Ave Maria (Norbet)
- Ave Maria (Shubert)
- Because The Lord Is My Shepherd
- Be Not Afraid (Dulford)
- Be Still And Know That I Am God
- Carry Me Home
- Come To Me
- Eat this Bread (Berthier)
- For All the Saints (Sine Nomine)
- From All That Dwells Below The Skies
- Here I am, Lord (Schutte)
- How Great Thou Art
- I Am the Bread of Life (Bread of Life)
- I Heard the Voice of Jesus Say (Kingsfold)
- I Know That My Redeemer Lives (Duke Street)
- It Is Well With My Soul
- Jerusalem, My Happy Home (Land of Rest)
- Jesus, Remember Me
- O God, Our Help in Ages Past (St. Anne)
- O God, You Search Me and You Know Me
- On Eagle’s Wings (Joncas)
- One Bread, One Body (Foley)
- Panis Angelicus (Franck, Lambilotte)
- Prayer of St. Francis
- Precious Lord, Take My Hand (Precious Lord)
- Shelter Me, O God
- Shepherd Me, O God (Haugen)
- Sing With All the Saints in Glory (Hymn to Joy)
- The King of Love My Shepherd Is (St. Columba)
- These Alone Are Enough
- Unless A Grain of Wheat
- We Remember
- We Will Rise Again
- Where My Father Lives
- Ye Watchers and Ye Holy Ones (Last Uns Erfreuen)
Psalm 16: The Path of Life
You will show me the path of life,
The delights that await me in your presence.
Without you there is nothing, no joy can be complete
Until at last I sit by your side.
Psalm 23: The Lord Is My Shepherd/ El Señor Es Mi Pastor
El Senor es mi pastor, nada me falta.
The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.
Psalm 23: The Lord Is My Shepherd
The Lord is my shepherd; nothing shall I want;
In verdant pastures he gives me repose.
Psalm 25: To You, O Lord, I Lift My Soul
To you, O Lord, I lift my soul.
Psalm 27: The Goodness of the Lord
I believe I shall see the goodness of the Lord
In the land of the living.
Psalm 27: The Lord Is My Light and My Salvation
The Lord is my light and my salvation.
Psalm 116: I Will Walk Before the Lord
I will walk before the Lord, in the land of the living.