Then Jesus approached and said to them, “All power in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age.”Matthew 28:18-20
Baptism is the first of the seven sacraments and a Sacrament of Initiation. Through Baptism, an individual is united to Christ and the Church. Through baptism, original sin is removed by the grace of the Holy Spirit using the symbols of water and the Word. The individual becomes clothed with Christ, receives an indelible mark from God, and enters into a relationship with God and the Church. When children are baptized, the parents profess Faith on behalf of the children.
Baptism of Infants and Children (Up to the age of 6)
Through baptism, your child will receive new life in Christ and become a son or daughter of God! We look forward to welcoming your precious child into our parish family and the Holy Catholic Church.
Requirements for Baptism:
- Newborn to 6 years old
- Parents attend one class before the baptism (godparents are also encouraged but not required to attend a class)
- Contact Anne Koster at firstname.lastname@example.org or 727-347-9702 to register for a parent preparation class before the birth of the child, if possible
Upcoming Baptism Class dates:
Baptism classes will be held by Zoom because of the COVID-10 restrictions. Please be sure to register in advance so that we can provide the ZOOM link for you to attend the class.
- 2020: October 4, November 1, December 6
- 2021: January 3, February 7, March 7, April 4, May 2, June 6
The following paperwork must be received before a baptism date is chosen:
- Email a copy of the child’s birth certificate to email@example.com.
- Each godparent must provide a completed sponsor form from his/her home parish.
- If you are a registered member of the Cathedral of St. Jude the Apostle, click here to download and print a sponsor form.
Who can be a Godparent?
The role of godparents is special in the life of the child and the family. Godparents help parents to bring up their children in the faith by their witness and prayers.
Requirements of a godparent:
- at least 16 years old
- At least one godparent must be Confirmed in the Catholic Church
- in lieu of a second godparent, the child may have one sponsor who is a baptized non-Catholic Christian witness of the baptism.
- Live a life of faith in harmony with the duty he/she is undertaking
- Not one of the parents of the child being baptized
- Maximum of two godparents: one male and one female
Helpful resources from Dynamic Catholic
Starting Point journals are free and available in the parish office.
If you have questions, please contact Anne Koster at firstname.lastname@example.org or 727-347-9702.
Adult and Older Children Baptisms
If you are over the age of 7 and would like to learn more about baptism, click here.