Reading the Holy Scriptures confers two benefits. It trains the mind to understand them; it turns man’s attention from the follies of the world and leads him to the love of God. — St. Isidore of Seville
If you wish to explore the Holy Scriptures, and you overcome your laziness and apply yourself, thirsting for the knowledge, then every good thing will be yours. You will fill your mind with divine light. Then, when you apply that light to the doctrines of the Church, you will very easily recognize everything that is true and unadulterated, and lay it up in the hidden treasures of your soul. — St. Cyril of Alexandria
“Make knowledge of the Scripture your love … Live with them, meditate on them, make them the sole object of your knowledge and inquiries.” – St. Jerome
This Bible Study class is intended for beginner and intermediate students who desire to read and study the Bible, but do not know where to start. This Study will use the Catholic Bible, the Come and See Catholic Study books, and the Catechism of the Catholic Church. The Little Rock Study Bible is recommended, but any Catholic Bible is fine. All books will be available at the Cathedral Welcome Center and Gift Store.
The objective of this class is to read and study the entire Bible one book at a time.
Classes will be taught in the Meehan Room in the Parish Center. Those who cannot attend in person will be able to log in via ZOOM.
The Year 1 class (Genesis through Ruth) – This class will not be offered during 2023-2024.
The Year 2 class (1 Samuel to the Babylonian Exile) – Year 2 will begin again on Tuesday, August 29, 2023. Classes will be video-on-demand, with zoom sessions before each book on scheduled dates. Video-lectures for each week will be posted on Tuesdays.
The Year 3 class (Babylonian Exile to the Intertestamental Period) began on August 24, 2023, and will meet weekly on Thursday evenings from 7:00 p.m.to 8:30 p.m via ZOOM only.
The Year 4 class (Synoptic Gospels) will meet weekly on Wednesday evenings in the Meehan Room of the parish center and via ZOOM from 7:00pm to 8:30 p.m. The Year 4 class began on August 23, 2023.
The Year 5 class (the Acts of the Apostles, Epistles, Revelation, and the Gospel of John) began August 14, 2024, and will meet weekly on Monday evenings in the Meehan Room of the parish center and via ZOOM from 7:00pm to 8:30 p.m.
Registration is necessary to receive the ZOOM links and regular emails pertaining to the classes.
Please contact Charmaine Carter at 727-347-9702 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- New American Bible, Revised Edition
- Catechism of the Catholic Church
- The Mass in Scripture
- Video: Why Do Catholics Have A Different Bible Than Protestants?
- Interpretation of the Bible in the Church
- Verbum Domini: Post-Synodal Apostolic Exhortation on the Word in the Life and Mission of the Church
- Documents on the Study of Scripture
- Dei Verbum – Dogmatic Constitution on Divine Revelation (Vatican II Document)
- Catechism of the Catholic Church: Sacred Scripture, §101 – 141
- Comparison of Dei Verbum and the CCC on Sacred Scripture | Fr. Felix Just SJ
- Interpretation of the Bible in the Church | Pontifical Biblical Commission
- The Jewish People and their Sacred Scriptures in the Christian Bible | Pontifical Council
- Divino Afflante Spiritu – On Promoting Biblical Studies
- Providentissimus Deus – On the Study of Holy Scripture
- Vatican Document: Divino Afflante Spiritu (Enclyclical on Promoting Biblical Studies)
- Verbum Domini (The Word of God): Post-Synodal Apostolic Exhortation on The Word of God
- Choosing the Word: How and Why Mass Readings are Chosen
- Vatican Document: Divino Afflante Spiritu (Enclyclical on Promoting Biblical Studies) (1943)
- Vatican Document: Providentissimus Deus (Encyclical On The Study of Holy Scripture) (1893)