Reading the Holy Scriptures confers two benefits. It trains the mind to understand them; it turns man’s attention from the follies of the world and leads him to the love of God. — St. Isidore of Seville
If you wish to explore the Holy Scriptures, and you overcome your laziness and apply yourself, thirsting for the knowledge, then every good thing will be yours. You will fill your mind with divine light. Then, when you apply that light to the doctrines of the Church, you will very easily recognize everything that is true and unadulterated, and lay it up in the hidden treasures of your soul. — St. Cyril of Alexandria
“Make knowledge of the Scripture your love … Live with them, meditate on them, make them the sole object of your knowledge and inquiries.” – St. Jerome
This Bible Study class is intended for beginner and intermediate students who desire to read and study the Bible, but do not know where to start. This Study will use the Catholic Bible, the Come and See Catholic Study books, and the Catechism of the Catholic Church. The Little Rock Study Bible is recommended, but any Catholic Bible is fine. All books will be available at the Cathedral Welcome Center and Gift Store.
The objective of this class is to read and study the entire Bible one book at a time.
Classes will be taught in the Meehan Room in the Parish Center. Those who cannot attend in person will be able to log in via ZOOM.
The Year 1 class (Genesis through Ruth) – Sessions have concluded for the 2022-2023 year. Year 1 will begin again on Tuesday, August 29, 2023. Classes will be video-on-demand, with hybrid sessions before each book scheduled on Tuesdays. Lectures for each week will be posted on Tuesdays.
The Year 2 class (1 Samuel to the exile) – Year 2 will begin again on Tuesday, August 22, 2023. Classes will be video-on-demand, with hybrid sessions before each book scheduled on Tuesdays. Lectures for each week will be posted on Tuesdays.
The Year 3 class (Babylonian Exile to the Intertestamental Period) are wrapping up for this year. Year 3 will restart on August 24, 2023, and will meet weekly on Thursday evenings from 7:00 p.m.to 8:30 p.m via ZOOM only.
The Year 4 class (Synoptic Gospels and the Acts of the Apostles) meets weekly on Wednesday evenings in the parish center and via ZOOM from 7:00pm to 8:30 p.m., and will continue through the summer 2023. The Year 4 class will restart on Wednesdays, starting August 23, 2023.
The Year 5 class (the Epistles, Revelation, and the Gospel of John) will begin Fall 2024, and will meet meets weekly on Monday evenings in the parish center and via ZOOM from 7:00pm to 8:30 p.m. Year 5 will begin Monday, September 11, 2023.
Registration is necessary to receive the ZOOM links and regular emails pertaining to the classes.
- Click the links below to view the 2023-2024 syllabi for the classes (coming soon):
- Year 1 – Abraham to Ruth; study of Torah to Ruth (video-on-demand)
- Year 2 – 1 Samuel to the Babylonian Exile (video-on-demand)
- Year 3 – Exile to the Intertestamental Period
- Year 4 – The Synoptic Gospels and the Acts of the Apostles
- Year 5 – The Epistles, Revelation, and the Gospel of John
Please contact Charmaine Carter at 727-347-9702 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- New American Bible, Revised Edition
- Catechism of the Catholic Church
- The Mass in Scripture
- Video: Why Do Catholics Have A Different Bible Than Protestants?
- Interpretation of the Bible in the Church
- Verbum Domini: Post-Synodal Apostolic Exhortation on the Word in the Life and Mission of the Church
- Documents on the Study of Scripture
- Dei Verbum – Dogmatic Constitution on Divine Revelation (Vatican II Document)
- Catechism of the Catholic Church: Sacred Scripture, §101 – 141
- Comparison of Dei Verbum and the CCC on Sacred Scripture | Fr. Felix Just SJ
- Interpretation of the Bible in the Church | Pontifical Biblical Commission
- The Jewish People and their Sacred Scriptures in the Christian Bible | Pontifical Council
- Divino Afflante Spiritu – On Promoting Biblical Studies
- Providentissimus Deus – On the Study of Holy Scripture
- Vatican Document: Divino Afflante Spiritu (Enclyclical on Promoting Biblical Studies)
- Verbum Domini (The Word of God): Post-Synodal Apostolic Exhortation on The Word of God
- Choosing the Word: How and Why Mass Readings are Chosen
- Vatican Document: Divino Afflante Spiritu (Enclyclical on Promoting Biblical Studies) (1943)
- Vatican Document: Providentissimus Deus (Encyclical On The Study of Holy Scripture) (1893)